Monday, May 6, 2013

The "New" Desk

I have a thing about rearranging the furniture. If you asked Jared, it's a really annoying thing. If you ask me, it's a great form of exercise (as long as I don't majorly tweak any muscles).

Thankfully a week of ginger-honey tea has me all fixed up and ready to finish what I started.

First though, let me introduce you to the desk I called dibs on the day we bought the 4 new book cases. We didn't pick it up the same day because it was piled high with junk. The owners called last Thursday to let me know it was ready. Great. My back was a mess and I had no one to help me.

The owners son helped me load it in the truck (he did almost all the heavy lifting). Then I had to figure out how to get it up my three flights of stairs to our apartment. I put up little notes on the main doors asking for help, no one offered. Hmm.

So Friday morning I called poor Jared all the way in Texas and whined about the fact that the desk was just sitting in the truck and I couldn't get it up to the apartment, and I need it out of the truck before Saturday because we would be moving horses, and, well, you get the point.

He made a phone call, and some guys showed up a few hours later. Jared's my hero, even from afar :0)

Our New Desk
Emma cleaning it up.

This desk is HUGE! Just the part that Emma is cleaning is 5' x 2'. There is also a smaller desk that attaches to the side that Emma is standing on. That one is maybe 3' x 1.5'. It's really sturdy, but it's really dark. 

So, I decided to paint it. I had such good luck with the two bookcases, that I figured this would be easy as well...

Our New Desk (4)
Emma helping to paint the desk

Our New Desk (5)
First coat finished!

Wrong. 

Our New Desk (6)
"Lesson Learned: Sand 1st!"

As I was putting on the second coat, I noticed that the paint was coming off pretty easily. In fact, I could scratch it off with my finger nail. Grrr. Oh well, when life gives us lemons...

Our New Desk (9)
Emma scratching out some horses.

We make art. 

Our New Desk (14)

Our New Desk (20)

DSCN2459

DSCN2458

Emma sat on top of the table for at least an hour or two (not all at once) just experimenting. It was fun to watch :0)

We did eventually get the desk totally scraped off (I just sprayed it with a squirt bottle of water and it scraped right off). I sanded it, then repainted it. 

Desk Redo (8)

The paint still likes to scrape off pretty easily, but I don't really care anymore at this point, I really wanted it done so I could finish rearranging our apartment!

Ready to see how the apartment looks? Good, come back tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Looks good! Would a coat of Modge Podge or something seal it so it won't rub off? Ask someone who knows about that kind of thing. Good luck. Are you oh so eager to start using your homework desk? Too fun! Kidding.
    Love and hugs to you both, M/G

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome!