Thursday, January 17, 2013

In the Kitchen with Emma

Starting this week I have been "asking" Emma to help me get supper ready. A few days ago she helped me make some chicken soup. Emma was responsible for adding some oil to the pot and stirring the onions and garlic while I prepped the rest of the veggies. She loved how it smelled.

Anyway, she did a wonderful job helping me to get the meal ready and she even liked the soup (though she said it needed more seasonings).

Last night we made some chicken thighs. Emma was responsible for making a seasoning rub for the chicken. So, we pulled out all the seasonings and she sniffed her way through all of them, adding the ones she liked.

At one point, she added too much onion powder. Discouraged, I had her take a break for a bit while I worked on making some coleslaw. Once we were ready to get the chicken into the oven she came back in and we fiddled with the rub. I dumped in some salt (way too much-oops!), added some garlic (Emma's favorite) and a bit more pepper. I think Emma tossed in some more ginger and a few other things, then we added a bit more southwest seasoning.

It was a bit salty (oops again!), but it was very tasty!

Apparently Emma enjoyed herself, because while the chicken was cooking, she drew this

Emma Helps with Supper
Emma making a dry rub for our chicken while I shredded cabbage for the coleslaw.

I love having a helper!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the two cooks made a fine team. It is so cold and so windy tonight that soup sounds like a very good idea. Love you all, Gramma

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome!