Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Our Whole30- What's for Breakfast

For the last 11 days, Emma and I have been following the Whole30 eating plan as a way to restart our taste buds and bodies. The idea behind the Whole30 program is to eat whole, natural foods.

I already mentioned a bit about all this (herehere, and here), but to recap-we eat meat, veggies, fruit and healthy fats.

We are avoiding gluten and dairy (which isn't anything new for us), as well as all grains, legumes, added sugar (fruit is fine), and most things processed.

Our favorite foods to eat are- eggs, lamb, salmon, and ground meat; sugar snap peas, tomatoes, avocado (which is a healthy fat), carrots and spinach (mostly in scrambled eggs); any fruit makes us happy; and we get our healthy fats from olives/olive oil, avocados, coconut milk/oil, and some nuts (Emma and Jared LOVE pistachios).

Here is what Emma and I had for breakfast this morning.

Emma's Breakfast
Almond pancakes, scrambled eggs with spinach, tomatoes, blueberries 
(and she had a carrot or two while the food was cooking)

A shot glass is useful for some many non-alcoholic things. We also serve coconut milk in a shot glass for a quick fat fix. 

Emma really loves these pancakes. She eats them plain, but I have plans to make some coconut butter soon for her to spread on them.

My breakfast
Scrambled eggs with spinach, tomatoes, 1/4 avocado. 

"This is what it looks like to be Well Fed"
(I just got my Well Fed cookbook in the mail and the back cover features an empty plate and the above saying- I like it)


As far as the Whole30 goes, I am a bit more relaxed with the rules for Emma then for myself. I didn't have the pancakes because they have honey as an ingredient. Honey is a natural form of sugar, yes, but it is added sugar nonetheless. I think next time I might make them with sugar free applesauce instead and then I can eat them as well :0)

So we have been gluten and dairy free for almost 4 months now, grain/dairy/legume/sugar free for about 11 days.

In the last 4 months I have lost about 25 pounds, dropped 2-3 pants sizes and 1 shirt size, I have lost most of the little bumps I have had on the backs of my arms for as long as I can remember, I don't feel bloated all the time, I have lots of energy, my muscles are starting to show again, and I am sleeping better.

In the last 4 months, Emma has grown an inch, stopped her crazy farts, sleeps more restfully, and overall feels better, though it's harder to tell with her.

One reason we know she feels better is for the simple fact that when Gramma offers her a nibble of a cookie or brownie, Emma says no. We haven't really asked her about it, but we are pretty sure it's because she knows that she feels better now that she isn't eating stuff like that.

So, while I know that the next 30 days (technically 19 days) will be tough at times, I am really looking forward to all the great things I will discover about feeling well and eating well.

Have a great Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome!