Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Feeding Our Faces part 2

What does a typical paleo meal look like?

Last night I made taco salad out of the left over crock-pot beef. We filled our bowls with lettuce, tomatoes and a few other veggies than slapped some taco-seasoned shredded beef on top. Jared added salsa to his and I remembered to add avocado to the last 1/4 of mine.

Everyone liked it (except Emma, but all she could think about was the fresh raspberries and blackberries we bought at the farmers market that day).

For breakfast, I just discovered an awesome homemade grain free granola that is killer in a bowl with some almond milk (or moo juice in Jared's case) poured over it. Emma prefers her granola with raisins. Before that, I just ate leftovers. 

Lunch is typically a huge salad for me with some sort of protein on the side. For Emma, she gets what we call a sample platter, and has for probably the last 5 months or so. It is exactly what is sounds like, a little bit of whatever we can find. Fruit (fresh, frozen, canned, or dried), fresh veggies (usually carrots, but lately she has been eating kohlrabi, cauliflower, peppers, snap peas, etc.) and some sort of protein (tuna, hard boiled egg, left over salmon or other left over meat, nuts, or peanut butter). She usually has a glass of chocolate almond milk with lunch as well.  

I try to make sure that there are a few different protein sources cooked and ready to go at all times. Right now we have hard boiled duck eggs (for me and Emma) as well as hard boiled chicken eggs (for Jared). Until last night's dinner we had shredded beef and salmon available as well (Emma ate the salmon for supper).

I have a freezer full of different types of meat- Lamb Roast, Ground Beef, Ground Bison, Venison Steaks, (and last week we ate some elk which we all loved). Oh, and I have a whole turkey thawing in the fridge that will go into the crock-pot today.

Later this week I should be getting some duck and goose meat from one of the farms that my boss, Kristin, works with on a regular basis, and there is a good possibility I will end up with a bit more elk from Kristin as well.

I am pretty excited about that ;0)

For veggies and fruit, the sky is the limit. We try to shop at the local farmers market every Tuesday and Friday. Some weeks we do better than others. I was super excited today when we found the raspberries and blackberries among a bounty of delicious veggies. In the back yard we are growing tomatoes (6 different plants), peppers (4 different kinds), cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts, mixed lettuce greens, kale (2 different kinds), onions (bought before I realized I can't eat them), and a few other things I can't remember. Oh, we bought a blueberry bush and raspberry plant from The Berry Patch Farm in Nevada before we left and those are planted in our back yard as well. We have actually already eaten a few blueberries. Yum!

If I had been on the ball when we first moved here, we would have a lot more growing. Oh well.

Whatever we can't find at the farmers market or in the back yard, we typically pick up at the food co-op. We try to buy organic when we can. Yes, it does cost more, but when you factor in that we are purchasing less processed crap and that we are healthier (which = less doctors visits and otc meds), spending a bit extra for organic is not a big deal.

All in all, I think the paleo lifestyle will work pretty for me. I am considering switching Emma as well, but I have not decided. Jared may take a little while to convince, but I think if I can come up with enough replacements for the things he eats regularly, he may be willing to give it a try. 

Life would be so much easier if we all followed the same eating lifestyle...

If you stop by tomorrow, I will have a list of paleo resources for you to check out. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me or leave comments below!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome!