Sunday, June 10, 2012

Crazy Busy- In a Good Way

It has been crazy busy around here, but as the title says, in a good way. I have been working 5 days a week (and loving every minute of it). At first I was working 8 hour days, but once we threw a puppy into the mix, I couldn't hang much past 6 hours at work.

Aside from being a mom and a wife, I would have to say that this is the most fulfilling job I have had. The woman I work for truly appreciates all my help, doesn't mind my 5,000 questions every day, and only laughs at me a little when this city girl can't figure out the country ways (thankfully I am a quick study and I also like to laugh at myself).

For the most part I help with morning chores; turning lights on in all the bird buildings, letting some birds out, feeding and watering all the birds, as well as collecting eggs.

Kristin has ducks, geese, turkeys and chickens. The majority of her birds are heritage breeds and on the rare or endangered list. I love the work she does, and the way she does it.

Some days I have to haul feed from the hoop house to the different buildings. Other days I may clean out a chicken pen. Man is that a work out! And man do I love how strong I feel lately. Who knew I actually had muscles stashed away in this old body?

Like I said, my boss is awesome and is happy to have me for however many hours I can manage, so lately I have worked from 0630 to about 1300 (1pm). Because I take Hawk to work with me, we leave super early. The poor pup is hungry as soon as he wakes up but I don't want to feed him before we drive for 30 minutes so we leave early and he eats at work. Usually we are home by 2 at the latest.

A puppy really is a lot like a baby! Hawk wakes up every 2.5-3 hours to pee (and sometimes poop). For the most part we are able to get him to go back to sleep, but come 4 a.m. he is WIDE AWAKE and looking for some serious play time.



And for anyone who has not raised a puppy (that would be me raising my hand) puppies like to play with their teeth. We are working on it, but man is it tough! We seriously need to up our arsenal (a.k.a. doggy toys). If you know of any particularly good ones, we are all ears (or eyes if you e-mail).


We have yet to figure out if Hawk has a natural routine/rhythm to his day, but we may start trying to figure it out. He seems to be asleep more than he is awake, but it could just be we are not really noticing it all that much.


For the most part, he does pretty good at night. Course waking up every 2-3 hours really sucks, but the good news is that it won't last forever and getting up is easier than picking up a mess.


Emma made the comment today that having a puppy is a LOT of work, just like we told her it would be, but that she LOVES having Hawk in the family.

I would have to agree with her.

Although in all honesty, I am really looking forward to getting past this mouthing phase. My arms could use the break.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome!