Friday, April 27, 2012

Goal: Day 23 Complete and Yummy Breakfast

The first order of business this morning was a bath for Emma. In the last week, Emma has decided that her body is a blank canvas that need to be filled with art. Using sharpie markers. Awesome.

She was chilly after her bath, which worked out nicely as I had just made myself some millet porridge. What's that you ask?


Millet is a naturally gluten free grain (though best to purchase only certified gluten free to prevent cross contamination), often found in bird food, but very tasty and healthy for people too!

1 cup of millet provides about:
6g protein
2g fiber
19% DV of magnesium
23% DV of manganese

Millet also provides some B vitamins, as well as other vitamins and minerals. For more info on what millet provides, check this link out.

As Emma was bathing, I was wasting time on the computer slaving over a hot stove to make some millet. This was the first time I had cooked it so I looked in this book

for a basic millet recipe. I didn't want to make 3 cups of millet, so instead of 1c millet to 2-2.5c water, I went with 1/2c millet to 1c water. More water makes millet creamier, less makes it fluffy. Fluffy sounded good. Rinse millet in a fine mesh strainer, then add millet and water to a pot. Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat to low. Let simmer for 30 minutes.

Of course the timer when off at the same time Emma decided she was done, so I turned the heat off and went to help Emma out of the tub.

As she dried off, I fluffed the millet just like you would rice. I cut an apple into quarters, then chopped a quarter of the apple into small cubes. I placed them in the bottom of a bowl, heaped a spoonful of millet on top, drizzled some honey on top then sprinkled with cinnamon. YUM!

I offered Emma the rest of the apple, but she informed me that she was cold and wanted something warm to eat. I chopped the rest of the apples, placed them in a small pyrex dish, sprinkled them with cinnamon, drizzled them with honey and threw a bit of millet on top and mixed it all up. I tossed the dish in the microwave for about 30-50 seconds, then served it up.




She loved it :)

After breakfast, we decided to brave the wind and cold for our daily walk. Brrr! Our toes were pretty cold, but we walked fast so we survived.

One week left to go! My latest crazy thought for after the 30 days is to walk to the local park (in Cresco) everyday and do some exercises at the park while Emma plays. Pull-ups, push-ups, kinda something like this.

Anyway, I am excited that we have done such a great job on our goal, and I am excited for the next step, whatever it ends up being!

p.s.
To make the recipe above easier for printing, here it is again

Millet Apple Porridge
2-3 servings

1/2 c millet
1 c water (makes a fluffy rice like porridge, use more water if you want a creamier porridge)
pinch of salt
1 apple (we used a Granny Smith, but I think any would be good)
2tsp cinnamon (I didn't measure this, but just sprinkled in on until it looked like enough)
2tbsp honey (I also didn't measure this, but I would guess anywhere from 2tbsp to 4tbsp)
1tbsp walnuts, crushed up a bit

1. Rinse millet using a fine mesh strainer.
2. Place water, salt and millet into pot and bring to a boil
3. Cover and lower heat to low, simmering for 30-35 minutes.
4. Core apple then chop into bite sized cubes, add to bottom of bowls or one larger container
5. Sprinkle apples with cinnamon and drizzle with honey
6. Once the millet has cooked, allow to sit for 5 minutes, then add millet to the apple mixture and stir.
7. Add walnuts if desired, eat and enjoy!

I loved the walnuts in mine, but Emma doesn't like walnuts so I didn't put any in hers. Next time I might crush them up smaller and mix them in with the entire batch because for the most part, the blend right in with the millet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome!