Thursday, April 26, 2012

From The Kitchen

I am happy to report that the week isn't even over yet and I managed to make 3 VERY tasty meals so far. I just finished up some cookies and they are cooling as I type so we will see how they turned out in about 20 minutes.

First, a throw-it-together meal from potatoes and ground beef (I think this was actually from last week). This recipe was really tasty and we enjoyed the left-overs.

Ingredients
3 beef patties (these are homemade with a mixture of ground beef and quinoa and possible some chia seeds/water as an egg replacer)
2 medium potatoes cubed
1/4 bell pepper (we used mini peppers in various colors)
2 large chard leaves
1/8 tsp ground red pepper flakes
2 tbsp green onions
2 tbsp olive oil

Directions
1. Heat oil in cast iron skillet over med-high heat
2. Add remaining ingredients
3. Cook till potatoes are tender, covering if necessary

Next up was a chili/beef stew thing. I didn't actually measure anything for this which is kinda a shame because I can't get enough of it. Oh, and it's a crock pot recipe :)

Ingredients
2-3lb Beef roast
Kidney beans (about 1-2c)
Black beans (about 2-3c)
quart of homemade marinara sauce
large jar of chunky salsa (TIMER- cookies are cool, be right back. YUMMY!!! Recipe is below)
1/2 sweet potato baked
chopped red, yellow, orange bell peppers (about 1/4 to 1/2c)
Swiss Chard chopped small (about 2 big leaves)
Kelp (not necessary but adds iodine for those that limit salt in their diets)
Baby Carrots (frozen- about 1c or so)

I put the roast into the crock pot and it was frozen solid. I dumped the rest of the ingredients into the crock pot and turned it on high for 6 hours. I think that's how long I cooked it for. I kept poking my nose into it throughout the day, so it may have cooked quicker if I had left it alone.

The beef came out so tender, and every time I get hungry, this is what I want to eat.

And the last yummy dinner recipe was from tonight. I am trying to use up the last of the foods so we are doing a lot of dumping things together. I love that they are turning our so well :) The key to this recipe was cutting everything up really small.

Skillet Pork and Potatoes
Ingredients
1/2 lb cooked ham shopped in tiny pieces (we actually used the prepackaged tiny ham cubes)
4-5 small potatoes cut into small cubes
1 Swiss Chard leaf, chopped small.
1 Carrot chopped small
1/4 small red onion chopped small
2 cloves garlic chopped and mashed
4-5 Asparagus spears, chopped small
2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
5-6 cherry tomatoes (these were just for me as no one else likes warm tomatoes)

Directions
1. Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet over med-high heat, add chopped potatoes, stir often.
2. Cut and prep the rest of the ingredients in the following order adding them as you finish prepping them; onion, garlic, chard, carrot and asparagus. Stir often to prevent sticking
3. Add ham and tomatoes, continue cooking until heated

I was a little unsure about this one, but everyone loved it. Emma even asked for seconds!

And now for the cookies! I have been having a major sweet craving the last day or two, so I really needed something healthy that satisfy, but not make me feel like crap. I had a recipe for granola balls, but I didn't have most of the ingredients, so I decided to wing it as it seems to have worked well so far this week.

Buckwheat Fruit Cookies
1 tbsp Chia seeds
2 tbsp water
5 dates
1/2 c water
2/3 c nut butter (I made a mix of almond, peanuts, cashew, honey, cinnamon and virgin coconut oil)
1/3 c raisins
1/3 c craisins
1 c "creamy buckwheat" (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/3 c Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips
 Brown Sugar

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Soak Chia seeds in 2 tbsp water, and the 5 dates in 1/2 c water for 5 minutes, then puree.
3. Mix puree and nut butter.
4. Mix in dried fruit, then buckwheat, then chocolate chips.
5. Drop spoonfuls onto the cookie sheet and slightly flatten them, then sprinkle with brown sugar
6. Bake for 20 minutes.

We let them cool for about 20 minutes then Jared and I ate one each.


 Ok, we shared a second one. We are doing our best to leave some for Emma. I think next time I will omit the brown sugar. It was tasty on there, but it would be just as tasty without.

Well, that is about it. I hope that everyone has a great and tasty day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome!