Friday, June 24, 2011

Emma's 5 1/2 Birthday Bash

So, we celebrated Emma's half birthday today. Her actual birthday is the 21st of December, and who really wants to go to a b-day party 4 days before Christmas?

Don't get me wrong, we always celebrate her actually birthday with lots of little gifts. For the last 2 years (and until we aren't cool enough for her anymore) we go to a movie and the toy store on her actual birthday. We love the tradition. I just added to it this year by making her a blanket in the theme of the movie for that year.

Anyway, we like to celebrate her 1/2 birthday as well. This is the first year we have had a party where we actually invited people over. No, wait, I take that back. When Emma was 1 1/2 we had a party in Tucson. Wow, that was a long time ago!

Anyway, I realized this is the first time in a very long time that we have actually hosted a party (probably since her last 1/2 b-day party).

There is a lot of work involved!

I think we did ok though. Emma helped me clean the house yesterday (I only had to threaten to cancel the party twice) and get the goody bags ready.
Melting down crayons to make "new" ones.

Pan of crayons ready for the oven.

I did a really bad job of taking pictures of all the steps of the crayon making. Basically we took the wrappers off, broke them into little bits and sorted by color, then layered them in a bread pan about 2 crayons deep. I put them in the oven at 350 degrees F and kept an eye on them till I felt they where melted enough. Different crayons brands have different melting points, so we had some chunks of crayons, but for the most part we liked how they turned out. 

Once the crayons where mostly firm, I cut them into strips, then in half and threw them in the freezer for about 30 minutes. 

We like them :) We had warm colors and cool colors, each goody bag got one of each. 

The crayons we did last night. 

This morning we make rainbow cake and cupcakes. So totally awesome! We got the idea and instructions from Craft Knife. Such an awesome blog full of wonderful ideas. And her kids are pretty darn cute too :)

Here are a few of the pics I took while making the cupcakes. Again, I did a poor job of getting pictures of each step. 
Cracking eggs, an absolute favorite for Emma

Stirring. 

First time using the mixer. She did great (only splattered a bit).

Dividing the batter into separate bowls (notice the apron :) )

Adding food coloring. 

Stirring some more.
And this is where I forgot to take more pictures. We had a bowl of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and pinky purple. Use individual spoons for each color, we dropped a dollop of cake mix into each of the cupcake thingies. We started with purple and worked out way up the rainbow. We only have mini cupcake pans, so by the time we got done with orange we ran out of room. We decided to go with red frosting :)

Emma got purple in each cupcake holder and decided this part was boring so I finished up. 

Once they where out of the oven and cool enough, she offered to test them for me. 

Yup, looks like a rainbow (minus the red). 


Here is a little cake we made with some of the left over batter.

Emma helped frost a few, then kinda got board with that as well. 


I finished them up then wrapped them till party time (to keep wandering fingers-both child and adult) from stealing too many. 

Then it was party time!

Well, after a quick nap.

Now it was party time :)


































It was a really great day spent with some great friends.

Thank you everyone!

                                                                

4 comments:

  1. What a colourful and happy post!
    I love the crayon idea. Those cakes look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a cake like that for my daughter's birthday last year. It's so fun and bright. We just celebrated her birthday this week. So much fun. My son's birthday is Dec 22, but he seems to really like it being next to Christmas. I was surprised, but I think it's because he gets to celebrate with his cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. i should have thought to use parchment paper when i melted our crayons. did you cut them into strips in the pan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the swirly cakes! (And thanks for the link—I shall go check it out) And the crayon idea is lovely. Another thing to add to my Fun To Do list!

    Thank you for sharing your girl's sweet day. It looks like everyone had a really happy time :)

    Also, thank you for your comment in my land of words, the other day too, Tina. It's lovely to 'meet' you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome!