Monday, September 13, 2010

Playing with Numbers

Emma loves to play the rhyming game in the car. We take turns picking a word then trying to come up with as many words as we can that rhyme.

Some days she really wants to play, but isn't in the mood to think of real words, so makes up words. The made up words do still rhyme, but for whatever reason this annoys me (I need to let it go, I know).

This was the case last weekend on our trip to Gramma's. So, instead of arguing with her about real words, I asked if she would like to play the numbers game (we do a lot with words, but not a lot with numbers). She was curious enough to ask what it was.

Umm, I had no idea. I just didn't want to play the rhyming game anymore. So, I decided to wing it (like I do in all areas of my life).

Me- "Ok Emma, lets say you have 3 horses and I have 2 horses. How many horses to we have together?"

I looked in the rear view mirror and saw her counting her fingers. Hmm, this might just work.

Emma- "5! We have 5 horses Mama! Ok, my turn."

So we took turns.

Emma- "Mama, if you have 3 apples and I give you 4, how many apples do you have?"

Me- "If I had 3 apples and you gave me 4 apples, I would have 7 apples!"

It was not limited to horses; we had apples, street signs, hay, cows, etc.

After adding for a while I wanted to see if she would be able to subtract. So, on one of my turns I asked her this:

Me- "Emma, if we had 6 horses and 4 ran away, how many would we have left?"

Once I again I peaked at her in the rear view mirror and I saw her using her fingers to figure it out.

Emma- "We would have 2 horses left."

She was a unsure with the subtraction, and only asked me one subtraction, but she loved asking addition questions.

The lesson I learned from this trip is that annoyance can lead to good things, as long as you know how to wing it.

Here is a fun picture of something spied (on a different day) from the rear view mirror.

Yes, she is asleep in that odd position.


Yes, that is a penny balanced on her nose.


Yes, she can apparently balance a penny on her nose, while sleeping, with her head tilted to the side.

(and yes, I do like to take pictures while I am driving, shame on me)

What fun/ sneaky games do you play with your kids, and what interesting things have you seen in your rear view mirror?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome!