Sunday, April 25, 2010

Horse Lesson #3

Emma and I love going to Wheeler Stables. Everything about our visits just rocks. When we first get there (if I manage to not be late), Emma loves to start out by swinging on the rubber horse swing (which I hope to remember to take a picture of next time).

Each lesson starts out the same, which is basically how most riders/horse owners would start out there days anyway, we groom the horses.

This week we got to take care of Willy the pony. We do a modified version of grooming the horses (Paige makes sure the horses are good-to-go before we even get there). We brush the horses for a few minutes, then we move on to Emma's favorite part, picking the hooves.


After that we head into the barn where the riding arena is. With my ankle still healing, Paige takes care of Emma for me. She helps Emma onto the horse and does all the teaching while leading Emma around. This week we worked some more on turning the horses, as well as keeping our heels down, backs straight, and other basic stuff.

The super exciting part of this week? Emma got to trot!


The picture isn't that great, but what do you want from a gimp? You can tell they are moving pretty good though by the way Willy's mane is blowing in the breeze.

After spending almost 30 minutes in the saddle, the girls where ready for a break. We had snacks and chatted, then it was time to learn about horse medical care. Paige taught the girls how to bandage a wound on the horses legs. Emma really liked it, especially because she has seen me wrapping my ankle up the same way :)


After that, lessons were done. Emma wanted to swing on the horse swing some more, so Paige and I chatted while I pushed Emma. After a while, Emma got down to play on some of the other awesome outdoor toys that Paige has, and Paige and I continued to chat.

All this time, Smokey, one of the ponies, was grazing on the nice green grass. Emma decided she wanted to help feed Smokey.


Paige told Emma if she wanted to, Emma could sit on Smokey's back while the pony ate. Emma liked that idea :)


We ended up staying for a bit longer, keeping an eye on Smokey while Paige did a few chores. About an hour after our lessons ended, I figured Emma and I should probably be getting out of Paige's hair.

Every time lesson day rolls around, Emma and I are super excited. We love the horses, we love to be learning, we love to be able to play, and we love to visit with Paige. We always leave happy and tired.

Thanks Paige, for making each trip out so wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome!