Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sewing With a Pattern

Jo Ann Fabrics is having a big sale!

I decided a little while ago that I wanted to try making close using a pattern. Once I realized Jo Ann Fabrics had their Simplicity patterns on sale for $.99, I figure it was a good time to give it a try. Jo Ann Fabrics also had a sale on their red tag fabrics. 50% off red tag = awesome deal. Flannel is also on sale for 50% off, as well as one of the brands of thread that Jo Ann Fabrics carries. The only fabric I bought that wasn’t 50% off, I used my 50% off coupon for:)

So I bought most of my fabric for between $1.50 and $3.00 a yard. I stocked up and hope to go back one more time before the sale is over on January 23rd.

I got home and was really excited to give the pattern thing a try. The fabric I bought that wasn’t on sale (but I still got 50% with my coupon) was horses running through snow. With Emma’s love of horses, I was more than ok with getting the fabric for her. We picked up about 8 patterns, a few for Emma and a few for me. I took out the pattern Emma picked out for a dress. Didn’t look to difficult. I pulled the pattern out of the package and was a bit bemused to realize that I had to actually cut the pattern pieces out, and then iron them. Hmm. I was already beginning to have doubts about using a pattern, but I pressed on.

I got the pieces all cut out and managed to pin them to the fabric. That was a bit of a trial and error with making sure that the horses were all standing on their feet, not their heads, but I managed. I used more fabric then I wanted to, but oh well. Good thing I got more then was called for.

I got the pieces cut out with hardly any problems. That was as far as I got last night before I hit a wall and started falling asleep sitting up. Early to bed…

Early to rise. I woke up when Jared got up this morning at about 4:00am. I usually never even hear his alarm, but I knew we were in for a bit of ice and I wanted to check the weather (Emma and I were suppose to do a bit of traveling today). Once I realized that the roads were going to be one big ice rink, our travel day became a p.j. lazy day.

I decided to be productive, even that early in the morning. I went back to our studio and got set up to finish the dress for Emma. My delusional mind thought I might get the dress done before Emma woke up. HA! Not even close. I COULD NOT figure out how to line up the side pieces with the front piece. I spent probably an hour or more trying to figure out exactly how the stupid pieces fit together. Finally I said forget it and decided to wing it, like I always do. I got all the top pieces of the dress put together and was a bit impressed with myself. I even managed to get the zipper sewn in. Before moving on to the skirt part of the dress, I decided to try the top half on Emma (who had been awake for an hour or so by this point, 4 hours after I woke up…). I managed to get it around the top half of her body, but couldn’t zip it. Not even a tiny little bit. Grrr. I sat for a few minutes trying to figure out how to fix and then said forget it, again.

The skirt was simple. I whipped it up in about an hour. It was way too big, but that was easy to fix. I did have to figure out how to finish the top edge of the skirt because I had decided that there was no way I was going to waste this cute skirt on the messed up top. I ended up hemming the top and throwing elastic into the waist band in the center back segment and calling it good.

Well, the skirt was a hit, Emma loved it. I decided to try to salvage the top. The easiest fix was to put an extra panel into the back where the zipper was suppose to go, so that is what I did. Now Emma can put the shirt on without having to have it zipped (which I think would be uncomfortable anyway). She loves the shirt also, but I will try to make one that looks a little nicer. I will add pictures in a few days.

All in all, I am not very impressed with using a pattern. I am going to try to make myself a pair of drawstring pants just because I am a glutton for punishment (and the pattern says it can be made in one hour).

Hope the pants are easier to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome!