Thursday, January 28, 2010

Felting, Upcycling, and Sewing, Oh My!

I have been very busy! I have been wanting to try felting for a while, so I went out this past weekend and bought some wool and wool blend sweaters from the thrift stores. I followed Resweater's guidelines, and had some luck. I knew that the blended sweaters would not felt as well, but I still liked them.

I got home from shopping and immediately threw the sweaters in the washer to get them felting. Everything worked out as well as I had expected, so I was pretty happy with my finds.

I was a little intimidated by the felted sweaters, so I used the blended sweaters and made some clothes for Emma. I made this jumper using a cute purple speckled sweater with pockets.

Emma was complaining that her legs were cold, so I used the arms of the sweater and...


I decided to go ahead and make something out of the felted sweaters. One of the sweaters had a hood and I just happened to have a book, "Warm Fuzzies" by Betz White with a project for a Hoodie Scarf. I used the felted hood with a sweater that was not all the way felted, but it work out well.


Then I had the sleeves left and decided to make another pair of sweater pants.


I had an orange sweater that didn't felt, so I made it into a sweater apron for Emma to paint in. I forgot to take pictures of it :)

I liked the neck of the sweater and thought it would be a cool waistband for a skirt, so I made a skirt to go with the waistband. Unfortunately the skirt is to small for me :( Still, it turned out cute.


Yesterday, as Emma was taking a rare nap, I finally felt ready to actually cut up some of the felted sweaters. My first felted project came our great, I think anyway. It was suppose to be a jumper, but it was a bit to short, so it is now a tunic.(I can't take my sewing machine with me when Emma and I babysit, so I bring my crocheting instead. I made the hat in these photos for Emma on Tuesday. She loves it! We plan to add a crocheted flower soon.)

The gray was from the same sweater as the hood in the Hoodie Scarf project. The sweater had cute little pockets so I made sure to include at least one in the jumper.

While we were doing our "photo shoot," Icky decided he wanted to be a model also.



The sweater was finished with enough time left yesterday to start another project (I tend to obsess when I get in the zone). Another book by Betz White, "Sewing Green", had a cute project for a bag made out of a jean skirt. I had a pair of jeans, so I turned the jeans into a skirt then into a bag.

I have not added anything to the back of the bag yet, and I bet I will be adding more to the front, but it gives you a good idea of what it looks like.

The day is still early, so who knows what I will be making next...

Oh, I almost forgot, I also made some seed pots using newspaper. Great way to use up old newspapers and get your seedlings started. I figure the pots are thin enough that they can just be planted right in the ground (or pot) once the seedlings are ready to be transplanted.



Have a creative and productive day!! I know I plan to :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome!