Thursday, December 3, 2009

My Latest Dream Home

I must have been a gypsy in another life; I am already dreaming about our next home. The funny thing is, it is not your typical "home". As I have been researching info for unschooling Emma, I have run across a group of families who also like to travel. They live in RV's, 5th wheels, travel trailers, old buses; you name it, if it moves, they live in it.

I think living that way would be really cool and highly educational. What better way to learn about geography, history, math, organization, navigation, teamwork, and different cultures just to name a few?

Also, with our family spread all across the US, it makes sense. Missing Gramma and Boppa? Pull up stakes and hit the road. Big celebration planned at Auntie Amber's? Don't start the party without us! No packing and little planning as the house goes with us!

Emma and I will test the waters when Jared is back on active duty. While he is deployed, Emma and I will travel between NH, IA, and AZ. We will most likely take the long way.

I can hear the cry already of "How will Emma get her socialization?!?"

Well, everywhere we go there will be people. There will be times we will be staying for more then a few days in one place and if she wants to, she can attend classes for anything from archery to zoology (some zoos offer day classes or overnight adventures for kids interested in that sort of thing). As far as keeping in touch with friends, there will be plenty of time for writing letters and drawing pictures while our house is on the move. Also, with the wide availability of free wi-fi, we can skype, e-mail, blog, facebook, snapfish, etc. with anyone we choose.

So what will our adventure home be? While Jared is active duty, we will most likely look for a smaller RV so that I can manage without needing another adult. Once Jared has retired, this is what I want: http://www.earthroamer.com/tab_xpedition_vehicles/xvlt1_overview.html.

It is called an EarthRoamer XV-LT. It... is so incredibly cool! I know you think I am crazy, but we have been thinking about it for a while and we have a while before we will do anything with it so I could change my mind...

But don't hold your breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome!